Friday, February 5, 2016

Doi Chiang Dao and the Adventures of Daniel Boone

Since Michael was able to get here earlier than originally planned, we had some spare time with which to get creative. When asked what he'd like to do, his answer was "I'd like to find something big and spend the whole day walking up."

Sure. Me too. 

Enter: Doi Chiang Dao, Thailand's third highest mountain. 


Officially, it's not to be done in one day (summit day one, sleep on the mountain, descend next morning) but this only served to spur Michael's natural "wanna bet?" tendencies. 

So, with our trusty Proprietor by our side, we sweet-talked (read: stood silently while Proprietor did all the work) our way into a one-day trip. 450tb for the national park fee, 1000tb for the required guide, one signature to confirm you know what you're getting yourself into. 


The mountain is 2.2K high, which may not sound like much, but easily illustrated how seriously my cardio-vascular fitness has been taking this vacation. Michael gleefully bounded up the mountain, I more or less crawled. 

This is our guide Boone. He is my mortal enemy. 


Boone gets paid the same fee no matter how long it takes me to haul my miserable body up the mountain, and clearly he was trying to increase his overall hourly wage. Michael, by his own admission, likes to see if he can push the guide to his physical limit. Suffice it to say, much of the trip I could see no human before or behind me. Sarah v wilderness. 


Every once in a while (minutes? hours? days?) Boone would stop and wait for me to catch up, presumably because Michael wouldn't tip him as well if I perished on the trail. At these intervals, Boone's tactic for coaxing me up the hillside was to continually repeat the phrase "one more kilo" to imply "hey champ, you're almost there."

After approximately twelve of these refrains, I began to believe he was instead intending to communicate "you have lost one more kilogram of sweat and self confidence since the last time we stopped."

Either way, we eventually made it and the view was spectacular. 


On to the beaches!

3 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts! Looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you should have hidden behind a rock for 30 minutes for a snack and let them sweat your whereabouts. Boone's a hustler.

    ReplyDelete